Old 21-05-2008, 01:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Adam Lipscombe Adam Lipscombe is offline

Default How to rewind line on to strimmer head?

OK, I supposed that it must be possible to do it right, I just cannot seem to.

Please can you review my steps below?

1. Remove old old line and clean spooler.

2. Start with bottom channel (channel nearest strimmer, furthest away from turf)

3. Poke line into hole in channel centre.

4. Wind line tightly and evenly in direction of arrow

5. When not too full, secure line through notches in channel edge and cut, leaving @ 6 inches of
line free.

6. Repeat steps 3 - 5 for top channel.

7. Replace spooler on strimmer., feeding line end through the "gates".

8. Cut line back to a reasonable length. (What length?)

9. Remove line from spooler notches to it free to feed.

10. Replace spooler cap.

Anything I have missed or got wrong here?

Thanks- Adam

wrote:
Chris Hogg wrote:
On Tue, 20 May 2008 19:07:16 +0100, Adam Lipscombe
wrote:

Hi

Forgive me if this a no-brainer.

I cannot rewind new line onto my black and decker electric strimmer.
Its the type where you stop and start the motor to feed the line.

It has a detachable red plastic cover over the line spooler. When this is removed the spooler just
pulls off. The spooler has 2 separate channels where one winds each piece of line, and a couple of
notches to hold the end of each piece line when it has been wound.

When you replace the spooler in the machine the line feeds through 2 metal "gates" - the part the
protrudes does the cutting.

I am clearly missing the plot because when I wind on new line and then use it it lasts for @ 30 secs
and then does not strim. When I look at the spooler the line has either withdrawn inside the spooler
completely (i.e. not sticking through the "gate" and hence is not available for cutting) or in a
tangled mess around the spooler.

Is there a trick to this? How tight does one have to wind the line?

Any help is much appreciated before I throw it away in frustration!

Thanks - Adam

I have some sympathy with you and Tim. I think the secrets are winding
it evenly, winding it tight, and winding it in the right direction
(don't ask). I have yet to achieve all three simultaneously :-(

Well I have to say my experience is rather the opposite, I have a very
cheap/small B&D reflex strimmer (i.e. it autofeeds) and I have wound
new line onto the spool several times now without any serious problems.

There is an arrow on the spool indicating which way to wind the line.

Don't overfill the spool and wind reasonably tight.

Then, in my experience, "it just works". I'm actually amazed at how
long our little B&D has lasted, it has gone on for a couple of years
at least of work that is really too heavy for it. We have 9 acres and
*lots* of different machines but the little B&D is my choice for
working up to fences etc., when the line catches on something it
doesn't tear itself apart like bigger strimmers tend to.