Old 22-05-2008, 10:51 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Billy[_4_] Billy[_4_] is offline

Default How long does it take for seeds to sprout?

In article ,
General Schvantzkopf wrote:

On Thu, 22 May 2008 10:46:39 -0700, Billy wrote:

In article ,
General Schvantzkopf wrote:

I have set up an automatic sprinkling system that waters the gardens
for 10 minutes before dawn and 10 minutes after sunset.

I wouldn't water in the evening because that will cool the soil for the
night. Water extra in the morning, if you need to, when the sun will
re-warm the soil.

My tomato and strawberry plants (planted from flats not seeds) are
doing fine with the exception of a couple of rows that appear to have
been eaten by somebody.

Yikes! Only a couple of rows? When were you going to panic? Are we
taking rolly pollies, snails, or rabbits?

I like tomato cages wrapped with chicken wire for large problems, like
my curious pets, iron (ferric) phosphate for gastropods, and sets for
rolly pollies and earwigs.

I don't know whats doing it. I have two gardens, one 14x60 and the other
15x20. Both have fences around them, the big garden is next to the woods,
the small garden is in the middle of the yard about 5 ft from the big
garden. I planted 42 tomato plants, everything in the small garden is
fine, a couple of rows in the big garden are also fine however two rows
in the big garden were completely eaten. I also put in an Arctic Kiwi
next to my grape arbor, something stripped most of the leaves off of that
also. I planted a couple of marigolds next to the Kiwi, they've been
eaten also. The marigolds in the big and small gardens are fine.

I've caught one groundhog with my live trap and moved him about 5 miles
away, that was before any damage was done. I haven't caught anymore since
the first. Also the groundhog tunnel that was going into my big garden
hasn't been reopened since I filled it in with used cat litter.

Suggest you get a flashlight and make the rounds of the garden before
you call it a night.
--

Billy
Bush Behind Bars