Old 06-04-2003, 09:44 AM
Andrew G

Default removing kikuyu grass

"Jerome Morrow" wrote in message
What's the best way of removing kikuyu grass?

Our back lawn is covered with the stuff. Its too invasive and I thought of
replacing it with buffalo grass.

Cheers!

As most people have gone with the general consensus of Roundup
(Glyphospate).
If you buy roundup that is concentrated (the best idea) and not pre-mixed
then you should be looking at a rate of around 15ml/roundup to a litreof
water (or 150ml roundup to 10litre of water). This stronger rate should get
through it better, and lessen the chance of it coming back too strong.
Still, it's best to spray it once, wait about 6 weeks, then re-spray. Make
sure you get good and complete coverage of the area. It's non-residual, so
it won't stay in the soil. In fact when roundup/glyphosate hits dirt/dust,
it becomes inactive. A weed sprayed with roundup, that is covered in
dust/dirt, will be lucky to die.
If things are really slowing down in the way of growing in your area, it may
be best to wait 'till after winter. This is cos you will get a better kill
of the kyke when it's actively growing. Also the Buffalo will take off
better.

--
Remove "not" from start of email address to reply