Old 28-05-2008, 09:12 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Dave Poole Dave Poole is offline
Registered User

Location: Torquay S. Devon
Default Gardeners World presenter?

On May 28, 1:15 am, Anne Jackson wrote:

I remember seeing a rather likeable young lad, Bill Chudziak, presenting
a gardening programme a few years agi, but it might have been 'regional'?
Does the name ring a bell with anyone?

Yes, he did some work on Channel 4 in the days when they produced
rather high quality gardening programmes. Very enthusiastic and
gushing if I remember rightly. Nevertheless, his pieces were well
researched and it was obvious that he had more than an inkling of his
subject matter. I'm surprised he didn't migrate to the BBC, because
his likeability factor and presentational skills far exceeded many of
the GW crowd.

As to 'bring back Percy', I'm afraid that would be a monumentally
ground-breaking move, because the dear chap has been 6ft. under for
more than a few years. But I agree with the sentiment, he was an
educator above all else and so well 'genned-up' that I can't think of
a single instance when he made a blunder in horticultural terms. I
feel very privileged that I got to know him during the 1970's and have
to say that he was one of the most generous hearted people you could
hope to meet. A modest man, not for him the arrogance that seems to
accompany celebrity, nor any hint of evangelical preaching. He was
simply an advocate of good gardening husbandry backed by a lifetime of
experience and learning.