Old 30-05-2008, 02:59 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
MrMe MrMe is offline

Default How long does it take for seeds to sprout?

On Thu, 22 May 2008 10:56:17 -0500, General Schvantzkopf wrote:

I planted a number of seeds a couple of weeks ago but I don't see any
signs of life yet. I planted the following,

Silver Queen Corn
Peas (soaked the seeds overnight before planting, they looked like they
were sprouting when I planted them).
Beans (same as peas)
Cucumbers
Carrots
Spinach

The only thing that looks like it's coming up is the spinach. There are
some grass like plants in a thin line where I planted the spinach so I
assume that's my plants and not grass.

I have set up an automatic sprinkling system that waters the gardens for
10 minutes before dawn and 10 minutes after sunset.

My tomato and strawberry plants (planted from flats not seeds) are doing
fine with the exception of a couple of rows that appear to have been
eaten by somebody.

Did I plant to early? I'm in Massachusetts near Nashua and Lowell.

The arm pit of the universe... Lowell that is. That's why. Nothing
grows in Lowell MA.

Actually, I originate from Worcester MA, but reside now in NC. Perfect
weather for all kinds of crops, if'n we get enough water. But seriously,
what has the weather been like ? If they were good viable seed the
silver queen should've popped up within 2 weeks. Mine was all up
within 10 days, but then the weather has been perfect this year. The
same with my snow peas, cukes, swiss chard, crook necks, string beans,
tomato, broccoli ( and whatever else I got out there ). And some were
seed from last year ( kept in freezer ).

Then again, I planted a later crop of 'honey sweet' corn seed. Fresh
seed. After 12 days and only 25 plants out of 3 rows I began diggin'
up some of the seed and sure enough most had sprouted. Just growin'
real slow I guess. MA has some peculiar weather early on. Probably
cold nights with mediocra days. Dig up some seed and see what
they're doing. If they are sprouting giv'em time. Don't water every
day and night. Too much water ( especially through the night ) might
rot the seed.

Usually seed packets have information about what temp, how deep,
when to plant etc on the back of the pack. I do know that I don't start
my cooler crops until soil gets up to 55ish degrees at least. Here
that can happen as early as April, but up there I think it takes longer.
But then I also remember for corn "knee high by 4th of July" if'n
you're gonna make corn in MA. So that would spell plant in June to
me.

Another thing to do is move south - then you can grow stuff year
round. I grew swiss chard, collard, cabbage, broccoli, brussel sprout,
turnip and cauliflower streight through the winter ( which lasts 2
months here in the sand-hills area ).

Good luck

= Me =