Old 04-06-2008, 11:21 AM posted to rec.gardens
Pat Kiewicz Pat Kiewicz is offline

Default securing fence at bottom

Jerry said:

I have chicken wire around the garden to keep rabbits out. How do I
secure the bottom so that they can't go under the fence?

You could bury it an inch or so and lay in a run of patio blocks along the
bottom of the fence outside (makes a nice mowing strip).

Or you could lay the wire out (away from the protected area) along the
ground 8-12 inches.

Actually, I have the pavers where lawn meets the veggie garden fence and
wirealong the ground where there are (unprotected) flower beds.

Also, how high does the chicken wire have to be to keep them from

jumping over and into the garden?

18-24 inches should suffice.

(My fence is 48" tall with 18" of 1 inch hex net along the bottom and two
electric strands at the top, protected on the bottom as I mentioned. Seems
to work.)

After enlightenment, the laundry.