Old 06-04-2003, 11:34 PM
Victoria Clare

Default What's the best facing for a garden?

"smeckler" wrote in
:

What does everyone like/dislike about the orientation of their own
places?

Our back garden is on the south east side of the house - but as it is also
on a steep hill, with the house at the bottom, it gets relatively little
sun for about 2 months around midwinter. Winter sun is nice to have.

Personally, I'm not too bothered about summer sun at midday (it's almost
too hot to sit in even now.)

.... but I do miss long sunny summer evenings - if I were looking again now
I think I'd put a long clear Westward view on my list! I hate looking out
over the valley and seeing all the houses that are still in full sun when
the sun has 'set' here behind our hill. Not fair!

I'm not a morning person, so I don't feel it compensates when they are all
in shadow first thing and we are in the first sparkle. It's nice, but
evening sun is nicer I think. Though if you are buying somewhere flat,
like our old garden, it makes much less difference - that garden was long
and thin with the house to the West of it, and you could always sit at the
bottom of the garden in the evenings in the sun.

Mind you, we knew all this when we bought the house - there's always
something you have to compromise on!

Victoria