Old 18-06-2008, 05:18 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Billy[_4_] Billy[_4_] is offline

Default Sowing more than one seed in a hole

In article
,
wrote:

Just one last question. As there are two plants growing out of the
same hole that I sowed the seeds (I have carrots, cantaloupe, and
cucumbers), I have to get rid one one. If I can't dig them up and
wash them off and replant one, I guess I should just clip one off with
scissors. Correct? Thanks for the help everyone. I'm new to this,
but growing a vegetable garden is fun so far.

How big is the plant and what kind is it? You can dig up the
plants, separate them and replant them but I wouldn't recommend it
unless you wanted one more plant and the only other option is
starting from seed. Digging up the plants will damage he smaller
(most important) root hairs and will set your plants back as they
recover. If you decide to dig up your plants, carefully remove the dirt
from the roots with a gentle flow of water. Gently separate the roots
starting at their tip NOT THE BASE OF THE SEEDLING. Do not grasp the
seedling by its' stalk, hold only the roots and GENTLY spread them from
from the center to the side (this is best done under running water.
(Again, DO NOT PULL ON THE STALK.) There will be a bit of a tangle at
the end and you probably will lose some smaller roots. Replant,
fish emulsion, and give partial shade for a week.

This is quicker than germinating from seed. You will lose some time in
the plants development, compared to having snipped one plant and letting
the other develop. You may kill both plants, not likely but possible.

I would be tempted to do this with tomatoes for which there was no
replacement. Otherwise, snip the second plant and get another one from
the nursery. There is always next year;o))
--

Billy
Bush and Pelosi Behind Bars