Old 06-07-2008, 01:48 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default How to stop tree sprouting.

On Sun, 6 Jul 2008 12:20:32 +0100, BigKev
wrote:

Hi - I have a small maple in the middle of my lawn that has failed to do
anything much and it must go.

If I cut the trunk (which is only a couple of inches thick) to the
base, how do I stop it re-shooting?

You can pull out the stump (obviously). I prefer to cut the tree low
enough such that the mower can safely move over the stump. Most
plants, including trees, can not live long without leaves. I have the
remains of a sourwood tree I cut down last summer and it is sprouting
up all over within 20 feet of the stump. It's not too difficult to
trim these once a month.