Old 22-07-2008, 08:05 PM posted to rec.gardens
Paul J. Dudley Paul J. Dudley is offline

Default Seven dust - Applied a month ago - Still toxic or not ?

On Tue, 22 Jul 2008 12:22:28 -0500, Jangchub wrote:

On Mon, 21 Jul 2008 20:55:20 -0400, "Paul J. Dudley"
wrote:

On Mon, 21 Jul 2008 16:28:56 -0500, Jangchub wrote:

On Mon, 21 Jul 2008 15:18:03 -0400, "Paul J. Dudley"
wrote:

Last month ( mid June ) I had applied Seven dust to my grapevine
due to Japanese Beatle infestation. I applied by hand ( gloved ).
I grabbed a handfull at a time and just tossed it across the whole
of the foliage and grape clusters. Here it is mid July and I still
see some rather rich deposits of the dust sitting on the clusters.
As these grapes ( type unknown ) are reaching ripeness they will
no doubt be harvested within the next 2 weeks to make wine. Will
the residual Seven dust pose any health threats at this point ? I've
tried rinsing with a garden hose but to no avail. It is rather "caked"
in some areas. There might have been some moisture on the grapes
when I slung the seven dust causing it to do so.

TIA

Paul

I wouldn't eat them.

I hadn't planned on eating them. I wish to make wine of them. I might
try washing the binches with mild soapy water and see how they look.
Hopefully I can get it (Sevin) gone... But if'n that don't do it, I will
trash the grapes and not take a chance.

= Paul =

Okay Paul, if it can systemically enter your skin and cause harmful
reactions, don't you know it will also be systemic on the cell walls
of grapes?

Yes. But I was hoping that a 6 week duration might be long enough for
the dust to break down in toxicity. My neighbor puts the stuff on all her
greens ( collard, cabbage, turnip etc ). She pounces it on with an old
nylon stocking. In fact, she does the same with her corn (at the silk
end of the ear just as soon as soon as silk appears).

I know one thing. I'll never use Sevin on my grapes again. I used to
use a Pyrethrin based pesticide ( Tiger Brand ) but haven't seen it at
the store this year. It breaks down rather quickly and most veggies can
be ingested within a week after it's use. The Sevin was given to me
and I tried it. I made a mistake. All I want to know now is ( and I
thought that was clear ) has enough time passed to degrade the dust
enough or would it still be hazardous ( ... and would washing them be
of any use ) .

In two weeks I will pick said grapes. I will attempt to wash the bunches
by hand. Depending of that outcome, I will either prepare them for wine
or if washing doesn't seem to remove the residue I will trash those
bunches that won't wash clean.

= Paul =