Old 22-07-2008, 07:51 PM posted to rec.gardens
frinjdwelr frinjdwelr is offline

Default Seven dust - Applied a month ago - Still toxic or not ?

"Paul J. Dudley" wrote in message
Okay Paul, if it can systemically enter your skin and cause harmful
reactions, don't you know it will also be systemic on the cell walls
of grapes?

Yes. But I was hoping that a 6 week duration might be long enough for
the dust to break down in toxicity. My neighbor puts the stuff on all her
greens ( collard, cabbage, turnip etc ). She pounces it on with an old
nylon stocking. In fact, she does the same with her corn (at the silk
end of the ear just as soon as soon as silk appears).

You got to be kidding. Have people still not learned to have more respect
for the environment and themselves?

I know one thing. I'll never use Sevin on my grapes again. I used to
use a Pyrethrin based pesticide ( Tiger Brand ) but haven't seen it at
the store this year. It breaks down rather quickly and most veggies can
be ingested within a week after it's use. The Sevin was given to me
and I tried it. I made a mistake. All I want to know now is ( and I
thought that was clear ) has enough time passed to degrade the dust
enough or would it still be hazardous ( ... and would washing them be
of any use ) .

In two weeks I will pick said grapes. I will attempt to wash the bunches
by hand. Depending of that outcome, I will either prepare them for wine
or if washing doesn't seem to remove the residue I will trash those
bunches that won't wash clean.

As someone else pointed out, the grapes will have absorbed the Sevin.
No way would I ever eat them or use them in wine.
Sounds like that was a really expensive gift you got.
Japanese beetles are easily knocked into a bowl of water to drown and sure
when they're at peak you have to do it every day but it still beats poison.