Old 23-07-2008, 01:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Clive in Kent Clive in Kent is offline

Default Climber for garage wall

You are asking the impossible, unless someone can think of something
I can't.

Can you drill small holes, insert some wall eyes and connect them by
wire? If so, you can drop the self-clinging, and the impossible
becomes possible, with quite a lot of options. There aren't many
self-clinging climbers - the most common have negligible flowers,
Campsis isn't suitable for that, and I don't think that Hydrangea
petiolaris and allies are drought tolerant.

Alternatively, drop the flowering and grow an ivy or "Virginia
creeper". No problem there, except hacking them back at the top!

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

More or less agree with with Nick, I would go for wire on the wall,
Parthenocissus henryana which is colourfull all season with an autumn
climax and a good rose, something along the lines of Alberic Barbier or
Madam Alfred Carrier for the summer flowers.
You will need to water the first summer but both plants will cope with
dry once their roots get going.
--
Charlie Pridham, Gardening in Cornwall
www.roselandhouse.co.uk

Thanks for your suggestions guys. Reason I was hoping for something self
clinging was that the concrete seems to be laced with granite or diamonds
judging by the number of drill bits of mine its chewed up!! Guess I'll
persevere and go for for Charlie's suggestions.

Clive in Kent