Old 05-08-2008, 04:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Ed Ed is offline

Default Freezing Runner Beans

On 05/08/08 12:52, Gordon H wrote:
Now that I am picking more beans than I can eat, I have to resort to
freezing some for later use.

I have Googled and found as many contradictions about precise methods as
there are pairs of contributors. ;-)

From a consensus, I propose to wash and slice diagonally into 1/2 "
wide pieces, drop into boiling water for 2 minutes, drop in iced water
for several minutes, then dry and freeze.

The last time I did this many years ago I bagged them after drying and
put them in the freezer. When we used them, they were stuck together
to some extent and iced up in the plastic bags. We learned to make
up smaller portions... ;-)

Today's reading suggests that I should leave them to dry more
thoroughly, and place them in the quick-freeze compartment on a baking
tray, rather than toss them in a bag.

Any comments on the methodology?

It is a given that they will not taste as they do when fresh, but in a
stir-fry with corn fed chicken, some Chinese veg and my favourite sauces...

Your methodology is fine!

The only difference to my practice, is that I dry most of the water off
after blanching in the cold water with a tea towel and freeze them open
on the quick-freeze tray in my freezer and give them a bit of a
shake/stir every now 10 min or so to stop em sticking together. Then I
bag them up and so I can pour out the quantity I need later.

Ed