Old 01-09-2008, 02:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Robert \(Plymouth\)[_239_] Robert \(Plymouth\)[_239_] is offline

Default Rhubarb: transplanting advice

"jal" wrote in message
Anyone got advice for sharing a rhubarb plant?

3 or 4 colleagues at work expressed an interest when I offered to split
and share our giant rhubarb plant.

I split off some roots about 4 weeks ago and planted them in large pots,
in a mix of soil, all-purpose compost, and a smidgin of 6X.

The resulting plants *seem* ok, in that the couple of leaves that were
attached remain reasonably healthy looking, though no new shoots have
appeared. (But yes, I know rhubarb is on the way out by this time of
year.)

I'm going to pass on these pots in a few days, but I'm wondering if my
colleagues will ultimately be disappointed: does anyone have any further
comments on what I should do or should have done?

Last question: can rhubarb be grown successfully in a pot (one colleague
asked).

cheers
john

Ideally you should have done the process after the leaves had died back so
that the plant was dormant, or as dormant as they get. . Then you split it
up making sure that each bit has at least one growing point. I wouldn't have
thought a pot would have enough water retention to support a rhubarb but
there's only one way to find out. They are pretty tough I expect yours will
be ok but they won't really get going properly until next year

--
Rowdens Reservoir Allotments Association
www.rraa.moonfruit.com