Old 21-09-2008, 11:37 PM posted to rec.gardens
Zootal[_3_] Zootal[_3_] is offline

Default Hot pepper/burning mouth question

Well, I feel better now...and a bit stupid. Last year my long green chilis
were mild and quite edible, and I thought I was growing the same thing this
year. This year they are outright dangerous. Holy Moly....I have about 100
of them on the plants, and I"ll be drying them and grinding them for some
dried pepper goodness :-)

I feel for your friend...that stuff is downright nasty. I made the mistake
of wiping my mouth, and I ended up spreading it all over my face, and it
burned for hours :P

"none" ""jules\"@(none)" wrote in message
Very entertaining description, thank you! And yes, it's normal if you
have the hot varieties. I'd use the milk method, which also includes ice
cream, cream, sour cream, but if you get a really hot one even that
won't work. I have a friend, she still hasn't lived it down, boast of
being able to eat jalapenos and grabbed a whole habanero before I could
stop her.... she did actually blister on the top of her mouth and her
tongue. Still makes me chuckle. She a little less boastful and will
listen a little more carefully these days. She actually managed to
swallow it! I think it was a lesson that lasted for a day or two!

jules

Zootal wrote:
I attempted to demonstrate my advanced (or lack of) intelligence
today....

I am growing some peppers. Actually, I have about 45 pepper plants, but
about 10 of them are these long green peppers. I think they turn red,
then
you dry them and make ground up hot pepper for aisan cooking. This one
was
green, maybe six inches long, and maybe 3/4 inch around at the base. I
chop
it up. I put a very small piece, like 1/2 the size of a pea, in my mouth.
immediately experience severe burning...my eyes cross, I can't see, my
mouth
is on fire, I stick my head in the sink and pray for death....this was
not
jalapeno ow ow hot gimme more, this was 911 take me to the hospital
burning.

So, I rinse mouth, smear it over my face, and my face still burns....

So, my question...is it normal for hot peppers like this to do this? I've
eaten serrano and jalapeno peppers before, raw in salsa, but I've never
run
across something this severe.