Old 25-10-2008, 05:14 PM posted to rec.gardens
David E. Ross David E. Ross is offline

Default Red cactus

On 10/24/2008 8:06 PM, Every time wrote:
Complete gardening newbie here.

Several months ago I bought a small cactus plant from my local garden
center here in Yorktown, VA. It has 5 cactus. Or at least 4 cactus
and 1 other kind of plant.

On top of a light green stalk was a bright red cactus... and it has
now gone all brown. The stalk doesn't feel alive to the touch, either,
and looks kind of dessicated.

I don't actually remember what the plant thing looked like, just that
it had nice purple leaves, which are now all crumpled and defunct as
well.

My question is have these things actually died? (The other three
cactus in the pot still look nice and green and alive). Or have they
gone dormant.

When I first noticed the red one had lost its color a few weeks ago, I
tried to water it...didn''t help. Prior to that I'd never watered the
pot at all.

Ihttp://www.geocities.com/nocturne_cvs/ExRedCActus.JPG

is a photo of it. The cactus in the middle is the ex-red cactus.

Any help appreciated.

Nurseries often sell plants contrived by grafting a colorful cactus on
top of a plain cactus. Such grafts often do not survive very long. In
any case, they are artificial freaks.

Made-up pots with cactus and other plants are also common. Too often,
the combination is not compatible. Sooner or later (more likely
sooner), some of the plants will die. Either the cactus dies from too
much water, or the other plants die from too little water.

If you really want to grow cactus, try my do-it-yourself potting mix at
http://www.rossde.com/garden/garden_potting_mix.html. Note the
proportions indicated for cactus. The key is that this mix will give
the excellent drainage required by cactus even if you over-water, but it
will still supply moisture if you forget to water. I've had excellent
results with this mix for growing ephiphyllum (a cactus). I also did
well with Christmas cactus until until the Great Freeze of '07 killed it.

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean