Old 02-11-2008, 05:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible
Gary Woods Gary Woods is offline

Default Garlic/onion frost damage

beecrofter wrote:

BALONEY, you get growth until the ground is frozen hard, how many
garlic crops have you brought to market?

The conventional wisdom here is that garlic should be planted 6-8 weeks
before ground frost, so the roots get well established before the ground
freezes hard, preventing the cloves from getting heaved up during
thaw/freeze cycles. To that end, a light mulch after things have started
to freeze is a Good Thing. I'm happier if I get little or now _top_ growth
before the freeze, since that gets damaged and costs the cloves energy
better spent the next spring.
Full disclosu

I am NOT a commercial grower; only a somewhat obsessed amateur. I grow
something around a hundred pounds of garlic, using what my Sweetie and I
don't eat to donate, trade, etc. I'm in the Northeastern U.S.; conditions
elsewhere vary. Mine certainly do!

Yours in bad breath,