Old 02-11-2008, 11:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible
Bob Hobden Bob Hobden is offline

Default Garlic/onion frost damage

"Sheldon" wrote
Ed wrote:
With the recent heavy snow and ice we have had this past week, a goodly
number of my autumn planted garlics and onions have had their tops bent
over.

Will they recover or will I need to replant again?

Garlic and onion sets shouldn't sprout until early spring... (same as
other allium), you obviously planted way too early... if anything the
early cold/snow may be a gift.

Rubbish! Garlic has to be planted before winter sets in if you want decent
sized heads. I try to get a good growth before they slow for the winter
cold. Spring planted stuff is almost a waste of time the heads are usually
so small. It's a tough plant and won't bother about the winter in the UK at
all.
There are autumn planted onions (as well as the usual spring planted)
although I've found they are not as tough as garlic.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden