Old 03-11-2008, 02:52 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening,rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible
Steve Young Steve Young is offline

Default Garlic/onion frost damage

"Bob Hobden" wrote

"Sheldon" wrote:

Garlic and onion sets shouldn't sprout until early spring... (same as
other allium), you obviously planted way too early... if anything the
early cold/snow may be a gift.

Rubbish! Garlic has to be planted before winter sets in if you want decent
sized heads. I try to get a good growth before they slow for the winter
cold. Spring planted stuff is almost a waste of time the heads are usually
so small. It's a tough plant and won't bother about the winter in the UK
at all. There are autumn planted onions (as well as the usual spring
planted) although I've found they are not as tough as garlic.

Nobody is talking about spring planting, we are talking about when it
sprouts.

If garlic has not been mistreated, very little sprouting/(above ground
growth) occurs between Fall planting and ground freeze. Now if it gets very
cold after planting and then a warm spell occurs before finally freezing, an
unusually large number may sprout. Here in NE Ohio probably less
than 20% sprout before a winter thaw. What confounds this timetable
is if garlic has been stored in a refrigerator anytime prior to planting. It
will sprout almost immediately after planting, long before strong roots are
established. Not a good thing.

Steve Young