Old 26-12-2008, 04:33 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Steve[_2_] Steve[_2_] is offline

Default Coconut Husk Chips

I think someone invested the money to purchase the machines to chop up
the CHC but now the blades have worn out and they are too cheap to buy
new ones. (Just a wild guess)

Jerry Hoffmeister wrote:
I noticed the same - not as nice as it was before. Especially the small
stuff - lots of long fibers making it a lot harder to pot with.

"Steve" wrote in message

tenman wrote:
Steve wrote:

This is a follow up to a question I had back at the end of September.
I was looking for the Crystal Company, which I remembered used to
advertise in Orchids magazine selling bales of CHC.
After some help here, I found their web site and e-mail address. The
web site showed the product but showed no prices or any way to order
it. I sent an e-mail to inquire. No response was ever received.
At that point, I sent an e-mail to Roberts Flower Supply and got a
reply within hours. I had ordered from them the last time I bought a
full bale of CHC but I wanted to compare prices. I placed the order
and their service was very good. Just thought I would report.

Steve

Yes, Wayne (Roberts) is good, and I have been buying from him for
many years. I did notice that the CHC I get now is not of the same
quality or uniformity I got a few years back, but I see the same
thing in it from every source I find, so I think it's just what there
is no matter where you get it.

I noticed the difference too. Before it was nice clean chunks. Now
they are more ragged and more loose fibers. I'm expecting my plants to
not care much.