Old 02-01-2009, 12:04 PM posted to aus.gardens
YMC YMC is offline

Default Roundup Zero effectiveness on Kikuyu grass lawn

"Erik Vastmasd" wrote in message

I didn't reply earlier because I was unsure what the original poster
wanted
to do with the garden. Kikuyu is very hardy, withstands drought and many
weed killers etc.

I didn't snip either so probably nobody will get to see this. ;-)

If the intention was to poison the Kikuyu this week and make new plantings
in the same area next week, I wouldn't think it would be too successful.

One of the Pathweeder type products would be the best to get rid of
Kikuyu.
The problem there is that they say they sterilize the soil for up to 12
Months (perhaps that is bit of wishful thinking) but if new plantings are
made soon after using a Pathweeder product the new plantings won't
prosper.
If you have a substantial Kikuyu growth it can't be eradicated by hand,
use
of a specific weed killer is necessary.
--

Erik

Thanks Erik.

Well, the plan is to plant a small tree where the kikuyu is growing. I plan
to spray it with concentrate roundup 20ml+1litre in the following month.
Application once a week. And follow it up with repeated sprays as and when
they do appear.

Its not my tree - and frankly I don't really care for it - I'm only planting
it there because someone (who has minus zero ideas about gardening ) gave me
orders to do so.

But anyways I realize that the kikuyu is an inappropriate grass to be
growing in that area of the garden. Its hard to get the mower there.

Thanks

YMC