Old 04-01-2009, 12:31 PM posted to aus.gardens
Dinsdale Pirana Dinsdale Pirana is offline

Default Roundup Zero effectiveness on Kikuyu grass lawn

On Wed, 31 Dec 2008 07:21:59 +0000 (UTC), Jeßus
wrote in aus.gardens:

If the Kikuyu hasn't had much water lately, I'd water it the day before
you plan to spray it, the plants don't seem to take up the glysophate
(sp?) as efficiently during prolonged bouts of dry weather in my
experience.

I've been able to reduce the recommended dose by a third if the previous
day was wet, and the following day is drizzly and overcast, or has very
light rain. Perfect conditions to apply roundup...

Interesting. I agree with you about the fact that the plants need to
be active for the best results. But I must admit that I feel that rain
within 24 hours after application is not so good, I have always
assumed that the rain washed the roundup away.

No real scientific basis for this it is just that on the rare occasion
that the roundup has not been very effective there has usually been
rain shortly after application.

One thing I have found is that using roundup at more than the
recommended dosage (10cc per litre?) is a waste of the product though
I haven't tried using lesser doses.

Wonderful stuff

Regards
Dinsy

Tantum religio potuit suadere malorum - Lucretius