Old 08-02-2009, 03:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha[_3_] Sacha[_3_] is offline

Default Mini lemon tree - edible fruit?

On 8/2/09 12:45, in article
, "Paul"
wrote:

Hi,
I've got a mini lemon tree and I'd like to know if its fruit is
edible. I don't know the scientific, or even correct, name for the
tree so I've posted a picture of it at
http://www.paulkaye.net/minilemontree.jpg
Is the fruit edible and would I use it like normal lemons?
Thanks for your time,
Paul

Is it Meyer's Lemon? Do a Google Image search for those and see if it looks
or sounds familiar. If so, you use it like any other lemon but the fruit
isn't quite as tart and is pink. There's a very good pudding recipe for
using Meyer's Lemons.
1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar
3 large eggs, separated
1/4 cup all purpose flour
1/4 cup fresh Meyer lemon juice
2 tablespoons fresh regular lemon juice
2 tablespoons finely grated Meyer lemon peel
3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons whole milk

1/4 teaspoon salt
Whipped cream (optional)

Preheat oven to 350°F. Butter six 3/4-cup custard cups or ramekins. Combine
1/2 cup sugar, egg yolks, flour, lemon juice, and lemon peel in large bowl;
whisk until well blended. Whisk in milk.

Using electric mixer, beat egg whites and salt in medium bowl until frothy.
Gradually add remaining 2 tablespoons sugar and beat until soft peaks form.
Fold beaten egg whites into lemon mixture in 2 additions. Divide mixture
among prepared custard cups. Place custard cups in roasting pan. Pour enough
hot water into roasting pan to come halfway up sides of custard cups. Bake
puddings until tops are golden and spring back when lightly touched, about
30 minutes. Remove cups from water. Serve warm or cold with whipped cream,
if desired.

Makes 6 servings.

--
Sacha