Old 09-02-2009, 09:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Paul Paul is offline

Default Mini lemon tree - edible fruit?

On Feb 9, 1:28*pm, Dave Poole wrote:
It's not a mini-lemon, but something rather more worthwhile - a
'limequat' and probably 'Eustis', which is the most popular. *This is
a hybrid between a key lime and kumquat that can be used unripe as a
lime and fully ripe as a lemon. *The fruit is decidedly edible and can
be used for flavouring drinks as well as normal culinary purposes.
The thin rind is relatively sweet when the fruit is fully ripe and it
makes a very delicious marmalade. *As to hardiness it is possibly more
borderline than 'Meyers', but has grown and fruited well here in S.
Devon for several years. *That plant looks a tad yellow and devoid of
leaves though. *A good shot of magnesium sulphate in spring followed
by regular applications of Chempak No2 (every 3 weeks throughout
summer and early autumn) will soon put it to rights. Nice thing to
have.

Hi all - thank you for your time and input!

Hi Dave,
Thanks - I just looked up limequat on Wikipedia and there it is!
Sounds great! I've got about 3 kg of fruit so I'll be making
marmalade. I'll give the magnesium sulphate a go next month - thanks
for that tip!

Hi Stephen, Hi Sacha,
The fruit is actually only 2-3cm in diameter. I looked up Meyer lemons
as that's what often came up when I originally Googled "mini lemons"
but I'm sure that's not it. Thanks for your time, though. I might try
your pudding recipe anyway!

Hi Rusty,
Thanks for your input. Sounds like it is edible and the marmalade idea
sounds great. I got mine in Israel (been here for a few years now -
this tree is about 3 years old and has given about 2 kg of fruit each
year) but, according to Wikipedia at least, it's also grown in the UK.

Thanks again,
Paul