Old 01-03-2009, 03:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rusty_Hinge[_2_] Rusty_Hinge[_2_] is offline

Default Vinegar weedkiller?

The message
from "Spider" contains these words:

I don't know how vinegar works as a weedkiller. Sorry. However, I'm
almost
sure that 'non brewed condiment' isn't, strictly speaking, vinegar. My
understanding is that it is used in place of vinegar to prevent people
drinking vinegar, which *is* brewed and has some kind of kick
(?alcoholic or
otherwise?) which lead to its being used as an abused substance. Hence the
'non-brewed' tag.

Brewed vinegar is (usually) malt 'wash' brewed into ale, then seeded
with a bacterium which converts the alcohol into vinegar.

There should be no alcohol, and no injurious constituents. HOWEVER! It
has been noted that people (especially East Europeans) having a very
high intake of pickled vegetables, pickles and sauces are more prone to
stomach cancer. Whether this is due to the vinegar or something else in
the diet, hasn't AFAIK been ascertained.

'Spirit' vinegar is glacial acetic acid watered-down, and I give the
stuff a wide berth wherever possible. I *ALWAYS* pickle in malt vinegar.

--
Rusty