Old 12-03-2009, 04:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
shazzbat shazzbat is offline

Default Qualcast Suffolk Punch - Ignition Spark Problem

"paulbed4d" wrote in message
news

Hi Steve, thanks for the response.
I didn't power wash top of the engine, carb, air filter, only around
the base of the engine block.
There is deffo no spark. I'd heard that the magneto coil etc benefits
from a good dry out. Is that not your experience?
The mower has been in the shed. Its dry in there but its been pretty
cold. I suppose is possible it still could be damp?
I could be coincidence and just need a new spark plug. I'll get one
first before i start dismantling!
Flywheel puller? I'll google it see what one of those is.
Thanks again
Paul

You can make your own puller fairly easily, it's just a flat strip of steel
with three holes in it. One is for the end of the crankshaft, two for bolts
to go into threaded holes in the flywheel. Note that the nut on the end of
the crankshaft is left hand threaded (3/8" UNF IIRC), and the holes in the
flywheel are likely to be UNC. This may have changed on later models, but
was the case surprisingly recently.

As for the sparks, the best way to test is by holding the plug lead near the
head whilst pulling the starter cord. It gives you a bit of a surprise, but
nothing dangerous. Of course, if there's a small child nearby who'd like to
yelp, sorry, I mean help.......

Steve