Old 03-04-2009, 05:19 PM posted to rec.gardens
Frank Frank is offline

Default Deer Resistant Shrub Hedge Plant recommendations

On Apr 3, 9:58*am, wrote:
Greetings all...

Looking for a few suggestions for Deer Resistant Shrubs *that can be used *as a hedge.

Something with these characteristics

Zone * 6
Dense * Compact Shrub
6 - 10' *tall
4- 5 ' * width
Partial Shade to Full Sun *(northeastern exposure.. morning sun_
Evergreen
Highly Deer resistant
Somewhat Drought Tolerant, * but is also in a springtime *moist location but dries up
during summer.
Medium Growth
Attractive. * Berries are fine.....

Need a row *about 35 feet long. * Looking for a privacy screen, *but only of medium height
maybe *10' max. *I can purchase larger shrubs *for immediate functionality, *but can
also do the 3 gallon size and wait 5 years or so.

These will be replacing * Russian Olives *which grow but are yucky, * *and euonymous
'manhattan' which never grows because the deer rip it to shreds as soon as it develops a
leaf.

I have *Ilex crenata *"Chesapeake" * small leaf Japanese Holly *shrubs
as foundation plantings. * They look nice, *meet all the criteria
however *I'm very concerned that they are 'deer candy' *and will be
destroyed *if used any distance away from the house.

Leylands are too large, *Arborvitae *have been ripped to shreds. *Carmellia's couldn't
handle *temperature ranges and drought. *Euonymous and Photinia were both ripped
to shreds *( even when *completely wrapped in 'deer netting").

Anyone *currently growing *something *in a similar situation ???

Thanks !!!

Peter

I don't find deer eating the holly trees/bushes near or away from the
house.
Also, deer generally do not eat evergreens such as pine or hemlock.
If they do, they are starving as it supplies no nutrients.