Old 08-04-2009, 02:00 PM posted to triangle.gardens
KTTT KTTT is offline

Default Building wooden containers

Richard Evans wrote:
Craig Watts wrote:

Richard Evans wrote:
I'd like to build my own wooden containers for growing vegetables. I
know you can't grow edibles in containers made from pressure treated
lumber, but are there other options?

I suppose I could just use pine and discard it when it rots, but how
about pine painted with exterior stain or other preservative?

How about plywood (non-PT)? Is it safe?

Have you seen the display outside at Logan's. They use
cinder blocks and it is pretty impressive.

I guess I should have qualified my question: I'm not doing raised
beds, I'm building standalone containers to set on my deck. Literally
wooden pots of varying sizes.

You can use PVC boards, or "plastic wood", from Home Depot. Lowes also
carries a different brand with different characteristics.

With PVC cement, the stuff that you use to cement PCV water pipes, and a
few small screws at stress points, you can put together a very sturdy
pots that would last forever.

The materials come in a variety of sizes, maximum is 1"x8", which
actually is 3/4"x7-1/4".

There is only one color though, white. But in my opinion, it is better
to deflect the intense heat in the open deck in the middle of the summer
here.