Old 19-04-2009, 01:10 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default Charcoal ash in compost

On Fri, 17 Apr 2009 14:42:29 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

Is the charcoal ash from my grill beneficial in my compost pile or
should I leave it out? The charcoal I use says it's made from 100%
oak wood.

TIA,
Mike

I tilled mine into the vegetable garden for the potash, carbon and
trace elements. I use a combination of charcoal briquettes and
hickory ash (I have three large hickory trees). You can add a small
amount of ash to a compost bin, but too much may stop the composting
process or raise pH.