Old 06-05-2009, 09:30 PM
glasgowdan glasgowdan is offline
Registered User

Default Help please! Houseplant (mother in law's tongue) dying and no idea what to do

Hi there,

First of all, hi, I'm new here and am keen to get some more information about house and garden plants in general. I'm just moving to a new house with plenty space to do my work

Now, I have a mother in law tongue plant in a large terracotta pot but it's dying off very quickly! I had it for a good 8-10 months all fine and only watered it sparingly. Recently the leaves have been rotting at the base (above the roots) and just collapsing - I'm down to the final 2 leaves now and I'd love to rescue it!

I cannot figure out wehat the problem is. The top of the soil in the pot had been covered with small pebbles which have, over time, mixed in with the soil. Could this be loosening the soil too much for the plant to survive? Should I re-pot those leaves remaining?

Any advice would be really appreciated, thanks!

Dan