Old 02-06-2009, 10:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Jim Jackson Jim Jackson is offline

Default "super" berries: goji, honeyberry, arona

Fred wrote:

Has anyone bought any of these so-called super berries? I have seen
them advertised in the various catalogues. As I understand it arona
berries are very tart so cannot be eaten off the bush but honey
berries are supposed to taste like sweet blueberries. is this true?
What do goji berries taste like?

Honeyberry is a variety of bush Honeysuckle (Lonicera caerulea).
It's sometimes called Blue Honeysuckle, and the Japanese call it Haskap.

Plants for a future have info at

http://www.pfaf.org/database/plants....icera+caerulea

and there is a canadian Haskap Association at

http://www.haskap.ca/index.htm

I was given some seed by a Czech fruit grower about 10 years or so ago,
and have 4 bushes. The fruit, when ripe, is similar in taste to wild
bilberry. The fruit remains very tart even when it start to darken. You
really have to make sure the berries are very dark and ripe.

I've seen it used in Sweden as a hedging plant.

My bushes appear to be adapted to a continental climate - cold winters
and warm/hot summers. Mild late autumns bring the bushes out in flower!
They really are very early, ripening on the bushes now.

They berries make a very pleasant jam. Unlike bilberries they have pectin
and make a "set" when jamming. My bushes are not particularly productive
and the berries are fairly small, but selected varieties should improve
both qualities.

cheers
Jim