Old 22-06-2009, 03:34 PM
Joe Shmoe Joe Shmoe is offline
Registered User

Default Smoothing my bumpy land.

Hi.

I brought a house with a large garden that had not been tended in 20 years. After two years hard work, I have successfully cleared it of the large weeds, and now I have the basics of a large lawn that I'm keeping under control with a flymo. The problem is, where I have dug-out all the old bramble roots and dead trees, I now have quite a bumpy surface.

As the lawn is in pretty poor condition, I was wondering about rotovating the entire lot and raking it smooth, before laying new seed.

What I'm unsure of is, how fine does the rotovator chop up the earth ? I don't want to be stuck with great lumps of earth that I cant rake flat, and as my solid turns to mushy clay approx 6inches down, I only want to skim-off the top few inches so I can rake it flat?

Would a rotovator do this, or would a tiller be better…… I have no experience with either ?

Would I need to skim off all the top layer of grass anyway, or could I just churn all the existing stuff up into the soil ?

Thanks.
joe