Old 29-06-2009, 01:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
wafflycat wafflycat is offline

Default Herb or plant that repels flies?

"David in Normandy" wrote in message
Does anyone know of a herb or plant that can be rubbed onto the skin that
repels biting flies? I swatted four horse flies yesterday while working in
the garden. Luckily they seem fairly slow and clumsy and are generally
easy to swat before they take a bite. However, I still managed to get a
bite on my leg. I dislike having to wear jeans in the garden on hot days
rather than shorts just because of the biting insects.

The wife has a terrible reaction when bit - the last bite made her whole
forearm swell up and go red, it was touch and go whether she needed
anti-biotics, but on this occasion the swelling went down after a few
days. On other occasions she hasn't been so lucky.

Anyone recommend any leaves that can be rubbed on the skin that really
work as a fly deterrent? It doesn't matter if they smell horrible because
it is only for use at home in the garden. If such a plant exists it will
be well worth buying and growing.

Well, pyrethoids originate from pyrethrums. Being similar to your wife in
the sense that if I get a bite I suffer a bad allergic reaction and have to
be careful not to get a bite infected, may I suggest that unless either of
you has some medical reason why you both shouldn't be around it, that you
apply an insect repellent containing DEET. It is very, very effective,
especially the high concentration stuff. But it is also an effective solvent
and can dissolve parts of some plastics, rayon, synthetic fabrics, leather,
paint or varnish, so you wouldn't want to be spilling any on your best
french polished table top... It is, however, my magic bullet for getting
through the summer without being bitten to shreds..