Old 29-06-2009, 01:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
wafflycat wafflycat is offline

Default Herb or plant that repels flies?

"wafflycat" wrote in message

Well, pyrethoids originate from pyrethrums. Being similar to your wife in
the sense that if I get a bite I suffer a bad allergic reaction and have
to be careful not to get a bite infected, may I suggest that unless either
of you has some medical reason why you both shouldn't be around it, that
you apply an insect repellent containing DEET. It is very, very effective,
especially the high concentration stuff. But it is also an effective
solvent and can dissolve parts of some plastics, rayon, synthetic fabrics,
leather, paint or varnish, so you wouldn't want to be spilling any on your
best french polished table top... It is, however, my magic bullet for
getting through the summer without being bitten to shreds..

Forgot to mention good old citronella oil candles - smell nice - mildly
effective against midges. I find that having a few citronella candles
burning (in suitably safe holders and in a suitably safe position) in a
bedroom before sleeping is effective at removing small flying biting things
from the area.