Old 29-06-2009, 01:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
wafflycat wafflycat is offline

Default Herb or plant that repels flies?

"David in Normandy" wrote in message
wafflycat wrote:

Well, pyrethoids originate from pyrethrums. Being similar to your wife in
the sense that if I get a bite I suffer a bad allergic reaction and have
to be careful not to get a bite infected, may I suggest that unless
either of you has some medical reason why you both shouldn't be around
it, that you apply an insect repellent containing DEET. It is very, very
effective, especially the high concentration stuff. But it is also an
effective solvent and can dissolve parts of some plastics, rayon,
synthetic fabrics, leather, paint or varnish, so you wouldn't want to be
spilling any on your best french polished table top... It is, however, my
magic bullet for getting through the summer without being bitten to
shreds..

Deet sounds like the bees knees so to speak. It will be fun asking for
deet at the pharmacy here in France. If I ask if they have deet; it will
likely cause confusion as deet (pronounced deet) means "has spoken". So it
would be like going into a chemist in England and asking the pharmcist if
they have spoken. Oh the joys of communicating in bad French.

Pour vous..

http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/N,N-di%...9thylbenzamide

http://www.pharmacorama.com/ezine/lupourvous41.php

http://www.webmarchand.com/a/liste_p...te_produit.htm