Old 09-07-2009, 11:45 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Pat Kiewicz[_2_] Pat Kiewicz[_2_] is offline

Default Can you re-use peat pellets?

Suzanne D. said:

I have a bunch of peat pellets in which the seeds never germinated. They
are all dried out now. Are they okay to use them again, or should I just
remove the netting, crumble them up, and add them to the garden soil?

They are very difficult to re-wet, and who's to know why the seeds never
germinated. (Did they carry some sort of mold or pathogen?) The pellets
themselves are relatively cheap, especially if you buy them in bulk mail
order, so my opinion is, better safe than sorry. I don't reuse them.

I always run my 'extra' seedlings and dud pellets through the compost
bin.

(I use the Jiffy-9 pellets for the most part, which avoids the netting issue.)

--
Pat in Plymouth MI

"So, it was all a dream."
"No dear, this is the dream, you're still in the cell."

email valid but not regularly monitored