Old 10-07-2009, 05:55 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
gunner gunner is offline

Default Can you re-use peat pellets?

"phorbin" wrote in message
In article ss,
says...

"Suzanne D." wrote in message
I have a bunch of peat pellets in which the seeds never germinated.
They
are all dried out now. Are they okay to use them again, or should I
just
remove the netting, crumble them up, and add them to the garden soil?
--S.

To be sure, you can sterilize them, say in a microwave.

And what happens if they aren't completely dessicated (sic) ?

Interesting question.
You want the pellets a bit damp if you are using a microwave to sterilize,
otherwise it wouldn't work well. I'm sure it wouldn't matter much with most
any other sterilization method such as various steam or heat methods.
Biocontrol/Chemical sterilization methods would be another matter. However,
I really do not find proof beyond Internet mythology that chemical
fertilizers will "sterilize" soils very well as often alluded.