Old 20-07-2009, 12:35 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Pat Kiewicz[_2_] Pat Kiewicz[_2_] is offline

Default Victoria plum tree

l bailes said:

i have problem with my plum tree ,there is what looks like a silicon gel
type substance oozing from the plums has anybody got any idea what it is
and is it harmfull

Some pest has been laying eggs on you plums. The wounds they made
are 'bleeding.'

Here in North America, I might suspect Plum curculio beetles (there
would be a small cut at the base of each bit of ooze) or another
weevil called the plum gouger. The eggs are laid under the skin of
the fruit, and the larvae burrow in to feed on the stone. (I don't
know if either of these pests has been exported.)

Oriental fruit moth is another possible culprit.

--
Pat in Plymouth MI

"So, it was all a dream."
"No dear, this is the dream, you're still in the cell."

email valid but not regularly monitored