Old 13-08-2009, 06:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Hobden Bob Hobden is offline

Default petrol strimmer help

"andy23" wrote
Im new here and i am in need of some help!!

I come to start my petrol strimmer today and it starts but it struggles
to tick over. it splutters and coughs trying its hardest to stay alive
but then sadly dies. I took the spark plug out and noticed some black
grainy residue on the bottom and it seems to be all over the piston, is
this doomed or can i save it from the scrap heap its only 14-15 month
old!!

It's my fault i left the petrol in it while storing it maybe thats the
cause i dont know.

Oh its a 33cc spear and jackson brush cutter from argos.

any help truly appreciated thanks

The piston crown should not be black and sooty, and that combined with the
erratic running...
1. sounds like it's running rich, too much petrol coming through somehow,
perhaps the choke is permanently on. Check the manual and see if there is a
mixture adjustment and weaken the mixture.
2. if it's a 2 stroke have you put too much oil in the petrol? Husqvarna do
small mixture bottles that are one bottle to 5 litres so you can't over oil
the petrol.
3. empty out the petrol tank and refill with new "petroil mixture".

--
Regards
Bob Hobden