Old 26-08-2009, 01:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Gertrude Jekyll Rose.

In article ,
says...
On 2009-08-26 09:08:06 +0100, Donwill said:

We have a shrub rose as above which we planted approx a year ago.

Unfortunately it appears to have a very untidy habit, however, the scent
is superb which is why we purchased it.

I noticed in Bodnant some years ago that they have one on one of the
terraces, (they probably have many) it had been pruned down to about
12 inches presumably to keep it in order.

Would this be the best way to keep it from getting too untidy?

Regards

Don

Are you quite sure you have the shrub form and not the climber? Ours
is the climber and gets tied into a rope trellis on a wall. I looked
at the David Austin site when I saw your post and even the shrub rose
is also described as a short climber.

I am with Don! ours is a weak growing straggly plant, I am going to hard
prune and feed this winter
--
Charlie Pridham, Gardening in Cornwall
www.roselandhouse.co.uk