Old 15-09-2009, 10:38 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Hobden Bob Hobden is offline

Default What should I do with my lupins, sunflowers and runner beans when they are finished?

"Steve" wrote...
Steve wrote:

I'm keen on letting things be and nature having it's way, and getting
a repeat performance every year.

Should I chop the plants down to the ground or should I just trim them
somewhat?

thnks

Oh and my foxgloves please

Lupins are perennial and can be tidied up, all dead leaves removed IDC,
watch for slugs/snails in the spring when the young shoots appear.
Sunflowers are annual and will die soon, pull up and compost.
Runners, whilst perennial, are usually treated as an annual as they can't
take frost so dig up and compost.
Foxgloves are biennial and will die after flowering, except some "foreign"
ones are short lived perennials.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden