Old 09-03-2010, 10:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Paul Luton[_2_] Paul Luton[_2_] is offline

Default North or North-East?

On 08/03/2010 17:23, Bob Hobden wrote:

"deebs" wrote

We are buying a new-build on a development. There are two houses up for
grabs with 60 foot gardens.

One of the houses has a North facing garden and the other has a
North-East facing garden.

Which would you choose?

PS we are in South London.

Whichever you choose with a 60ft rear garden you will be able to have a
patio/sun trap in the sun, just have to be down the bottom of the garden
instead of near the house. However you must look at how the sun reaches
the garden, how many other buildings, trees, etc shade it. Check it at
different times of the day. If there is a sunny spot down the garden
right now it will be better in the summer when the sun is higher.
Our garden is NNE facing and much shorter than yours, it's not a
problem, you just have to choose the right plants for a bit of shade, or
rather, lack of direct sun. Some of the plants I grow would not like it
any other way.

In a similar situation we find that a trough of alpine saxifrages
(apiculata etc)does very well near our back windows - with practically
no direct sunlight. They burn up anywhere else. OTOH the greenhouse
needs to be halfway down the garden.
Paul

--
CTC Right to Ride Rep. for Richmond upon Thames