Old 15-04-2010, 06:08 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Bob Bob is offline

Default Netting: Use Of. And Re Raspberries & Birds

Hello,

A. Have never used netting, but am thinking it might be a good idea now
to use over some Raspberry vines I planted.
That's assuming, of course, any berries actually come up !

All the netting I have seen seems to be a 3/4 mesh.

Is this the "right" size to keep small songbirds, finches, chickadees,
etc off of the Raspberries ? Or,...?

Live in New England, outside of Boston.

Can't their beaks just go thru the opening to the berries ?

Do you just drape it over the bush/vine, or do you need some kind of a
support structure to hold the netting a few inches away ?

Would sure be easier to just drape it; would this work ?

Any thoughts on how one uses this stuff, and the right kind to get,
would bew most appreciated.

B. My second question concerns Raspberries.

Planted some vines for the first time.
How big a problem is birds and Raspberries ?

Live outside of Boston, and have most of the common New England type of
birds.

Thanks,
Bob