Old 24-04-2010, 01:17 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default "Potassium Soaps Of Fatty Acids": Safe ?

On Fri, 23 Apr 2010 12:18:42 -0400, Bob wrote:

Hello,

Lawn is in reasonable shape, but areas of Moss. Live in New England.

Bought a container of a liquid Moss killer (goes on hose end)that has as
it's (only) active ingredient something called:
Potassium Soaps Of Fatty Acid".

Question: Is it safe if some of the spray gets on healthy grass ?

And would also like to ask:

Soil, via a ph test, showed that it is quite acidic.
If I put down the limestone granules, is this also safe on healthy grass ?

Any caveats to it's use, etc. ?

Thanks,
B.

Just about all plants, including grass, do not like soap on their
roots. Do the instructions say anything about getting their product
on grass?

Using lime granules on the grass is helpful if the soil is acidic. It
can be harmful if the soil is already alkaline, as most grass grows
best in slightly acidic soils. Test pH again in 6 months, reapply if
needed. You may have to apply lime every 6 months for a few years (I
did). I still have some moss, but most is under control.