Old 18-05-2010, 01:09 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Dan L.[_2_] Dan L.[_2_] is offline

Default Composting Rhubarb leaves?

In article
,
Billy wrote:

In article ,
"Dan L." wrote:

In article ,
"Bob F" wrote:

Merryb wrote:
On Apr 27, 4:58 pm, Billy wrote:
In article
,

Merryb wrote:
Hi all,
I cut a dozen rhubarb stalks from my yard the other day, and
proceeded to put the leaves in the compost pile. I know the leaves
are posionous, but does anybody know if they will break down okay? I
really didn't think about it at the time- duh!!

Forgiver the cut and past, but his is the answer you were looking
for.

Are rhubarb leaves safe to put into the compost pile?
While the rhubarb leaves do contain poisonous materials, they can be
used in the compost pile. Oxalic acid and soluble oxalates are not
readily absorbed by the roots of plants. Compost containing
decomposed
rhubarb leaves can be safely worked into the soil of vegetable
gardens.http://www.ipm.iastate.edu/ipm/hortn...1997/rhubarbsa
fe
.h
tml
--
- Billy
merger of state and corporate power." - Benito

Thank you! I'll make sure I work in in. When I turned it this last
weekend, I saw lots of worms...a good sign!

I have two big bins, and don't turn them. They just go for a year or more
before
they get used, and a bit of incomplete stuff gets thrown into the "input"
bin
as
I use the older one. It makes composting less of a chore.

Turn that pile! Its not a chore, think of it as good exercise. After
turning a cubic yard of compost my arms and legs are pumped! Turn that
pile and use all of those muscles. Its like doing several specific
weight lifting routines all wrapped up in one motion.

Worse comes to worse. we'll attend your service ;O)

LOL, I am not getting older I need to get a will that states. I want
to be cremated and my ashes put in to the flower garden.

When someone ask "Where is Dan?" They can say "Dan is pushing daisies"

--
Enjoy Life... Dan

Garden in Zone 5 South East Michigan.