Old 10-07-2010, 03:26 AM posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.lawn.garden,alt.home.repair
jloomis jloomis is offline

Default Building Steps on dirt slope/ questions

Pin to the ground and pin the beams together.....
We do that on dock work at the river....too
I have used rebar pins on all kinds of construction.
If you drill a 1/2" hole the diameter of a 1/2" rebar is somewhat larger and
varigated and fits real tight.
You can also drive them in the ground for anchoring.....they may rust out
not in your lifetime though.
I agree with the other fellow concerning the commercial grade sold at box
stores....it is not very well penetrated with the solution.
They do rot.........
I have actually "special ordered" better quality treated timbers that are
soaked and baked better than the garden variety sold.
Railroad ties and ones that are "select" are acutaully the
best....regardless of how they look. They can be done quite nicely but the
smell is somewhat disagreeable in the heat.......anyway.....many choices.
I would consider making the beams out of concrete and rebar inside....form
and pour them in place...finish off the tops and backfill behind.
you could form a nice 6x6 and put a rod or 2 of steel inside, pour the
beam.....finish the top and bingo......no wrot and strong.
if you wanted you could impress a wood grain on top. I have done that too.
john

"James" wrote in message
net...
Thanks to all who have replied !!

John, you would use the rebar pins for what ?? To join the beams
together,
or to pin them to the ground ??

James