Old 29-07-2010, 02:17 PM posted to misc.consumers.house,alt.home.lawn.garden,alt.home.repair
Sum Guy[_2_] Sum Guy[_2_] is offline

Default Using PL-Premium (construction adhesive) to fill holes in treetrunks

jamesgangnc wrote:

But generally it is best of you just let the tree bark grow over
the wood. The black tree paint inhibits that and does trap
moisture.

Pruning paint does not inhibit bark growth over the exposed cut surface,
and it does not trap moisture because the exposed heartwood quickly
dries out once exposed to the air after it's cut, and any moisture
deeper in the wood under the painted area will find other ways to move
within the tree.

It will eventually heal it's self but it will never repair the
rot inside.

I know that, but I'm thinking that the glue will (a) kill whatever
organisms/insects are in there causing the dammage, (b) fill the voids
to prevent re-introduction of similar pests, (c) perform mechanical
bonding and return strength to the dammaged area (in a way that other
simple fillers wouldn't).

It's possible your holes were made by wood bees. Were they
about a 1/2" round and so well done that they almost looked
like a drill had done them? Wood bees will go a long way
into wood.

We call them carpenter bees, and they have drilled those perfectly round
holes in the side of my eaves under the gutters in previous years before
I replaced the wood and covered them with aluminum siding. I have lots
of other lumber that sits in my back yard (remnants from other projects)
but I've never seen these bees go after that wood, nor the exposed eves
of my shed.

In the case of the fissures on the exposed cut surface of the silver
maple, these are not the perfectly round holes made by carpenter bees.