Old 30-07-2010, 01:53 AM posted to misc.consumers.house,alt.home.lawn.garden,alt.home.repair
Gary Heston Gary Heston is offline

Default Using PL-Premium (construction adhesive) to fill holes in treetrunks

In article ,
RicodJour wrote:
[ ... ]

It is important how, when and where to prune limbs. Improper pruning
will not allow the tree to heal.
http://www.gardenguides.com/69432-pr...ver-maple.html

[ ... ]

The proper way to prune a silver maple (much different from red or sugar
maples) is horizontally just above ground level. Then, apply copious
amounts of Roundup or similar herbicide to kill the roots, including
where they break the surface and sprout more silver maples (about every
two or three feet--on each root).

Those roots were a nightmare when cutting the grass; some of the roots
would get high enough to interfere with the mower blade, ocasionally
bending it. I cut mine down within a few years of buying my first house.
The sugar maple which was planted at the same time (1956) is still
growing well. I bought the house in 1979; at that time the silver maple
was about 25' tall, the sugar maple was probably over 40' and now is
at least 60. Sugar and red maples are keepers; silver maples are pretty
(white bark, oval leaves dark green on top and silver-white on the
bottom, hence the name) but incompatible with a lawn or any structures.

I don't miss my silver maple at all. I miss the sugar maple that was
hit by lightning and eventually blown down back in the '90s. The
remaining two are still great trees.

Gary

--
Gary Heston http://www.thebreastcancersite.com/

If you want to reduce the level of carbon dioxide in the atmosphere,
go plant trees.