Old 04-08-2010, 06:10 PM posted to rec.gardens
Zootal[_5_] Zootal[_5_] is offline

Default How to save pear tree with split trunk

I have a small red pear tree that produces the most wonderful red pears. A
while ago I discovered the trunk had split:

http://deadice.no-ip.info/stuff/2010.../images/08-04-
10_0911.JPG

http://deadice.no-ip.info/stuff/2010.../images/08-04-
10_0910.JPG

It's easy to see why, though I had no idea that the twin leaders would
cause this to happen. So, the question is, can this tree be saved? I
thought of wrapping something around the split, but I'm not sure what I can
use that would be strong enough, and I'm not sure the wound will heal. I
thought of removing one side and seeing if the other would survive. Is
there any way to save this tree?