Old 04-08-2010, 07:37 PM posted to rec.gardens
Bill who putters Bill who putters is offline

Default How to save pear tree with split trunk

In article 31,
Zootal wrote:

I have a small red pear tree that produces the most wonderful red pears. A
while ago I discovered the trunk had split:

http://deadice.no-ip.info/stuff/2010.../images/08-04-
10_0911.JPG

http://deadice.no-ip.info/stuff/2010.../images/08-04-
10_0910.JPG

It's easy to see why, though I had no idea that the twin leaders would
cause this to happen. So, the question is, can this tree be saved? I
thought of wrapping something around the split, but I'm not sure what I can
use that would be strong enough, and I'm not sure the wound will heal. I
thought of removing one side and seeing if the other would survive. Is
there any way to save this tree?

I'd replace it but I'd be tempted to drill and place a bolt half inch
thru the split for the heck of it . Do it now and next spring go from
there.

Good Luck.

--
Bill S. Jersey USA zone 5 shade garden